Monday, June 27, 2011

Like Father, Like Daughter

Working for a non-profit has definitely sharpened my skills at saving money, or so I like to think.

We decided to use lanyards for name tags this year. As a youth ministry staff, it took a while to convince ourselves to spend the money. But, after discussing although the pros (long term name tags for multiple events, easily identifying our kids at the rec center where we hold camp, an easier way to track and enforce discipline with kids traveling to multiple stations during camp, the list goes on and on...) we bit the bullet and made the investment.

Within the first day, several kids were coming up to us with their name tags in pieces. The plastic sleeves holding their names were breaking due to a number of issues. Determined to not let this affect our budget, I went to my bag of tricks. (Which is primarily filled with tricks from my wonderful father)

A roll of duct tape and a hole punch later....the name tags were fixed and held up through another 2 weeks of camp and we plan on using them for camp in July. Thanks Mom and Dad for teaching me how to improvise, get as much life out of one thing as possible, not be wasteful, and most importantly duct tape can fix anything! (I can tell you that while I am enjoying saving money, the ugliness of some of the name tags is driving me absolutely bonkers! My OCD, perfectionist at it's finest!)

No comments:

Post a Comment